Friday 4 December 2009

[Review] Gucci Mane - The State Vs Radric Davis

Artist: Gucci Mane


Release Date: 8th December 2009


Until late 2009, I was never been able to understand the hype surrounding Gucci Mane. I have been aware of his presence since around 2005, when he gained public attention through a deadly feud with fellow Atlanta rapper, Young Jeezy. In fact, even MTV were gripped by the ongoings in what can only be described as a rediculous, childish and immature beef over something so small.
In fact, not even a collaboration with Young Jeezy caught my ears, as Young Jeezy's presence on the record was the outstanding factor, as he was just blowing up at the time. Gucci never struck me with anything hype worthy, in fact, I just assumed he was a fellow southern rapper that gets on a track because they are good friends with the star rapper, like Tony Yayo and Memphis Bleek.
However, this beef showed how rappers are willing to come across as 'street' for their fans, when there was totally no need. It seemed Jeezy wanted the track for his own album, but Gucci refused to allow it, as he had just captured a big name Def Jam artist for his project, which was sure to give him some attention.
The beef turned nasty when Jeezy released a mixtape track, aimed at Gucci Mane, in which he put a $10,000 bounty on Gucci's chain - anybody that could rob him and bring the chain to Jeezy, would get the cash. However, when an associate of Young Jeezy's CTE broke into Gucci's house after a tip off from a prostitute that had gone back with Gucci, and after being attacked with a gun, Gucci's only self defence was to shoot to kill - with an arrest warrent being issued a week later when the body of the man was found near Gucci Mane's house in bushes. Although he was aquited of all charges, it just goes to show how a small disagreement can go too far.
Gucci has also hit the headlines in the buildup to this release, after being given a year in prison for drugs charges, and for ending the feud publically with Young Jeezy, but as they always say, all publicity is good publicity.
But I first began to realise how large Gucci's presence in Hip Hop when MTV listed him in their absurd top 10 of current rappers, ahead of the real #1, Eminem, whom was not included in the list. Was I missing something about Gucci that others can see that I cant? It certainly wasn't his flow, lyrical ability or style, as I would have noticed, and he certainly didn't have the on track presence that a Young Jeezy, a Fabolous or a Juelz Santana would give.
So, getting back to the album, what was I expecting? To be honoust, I thought it would be just another southern album, with a bit of crunk and maybe a little bit gangsterism. I certainly was not anticipating a commercial success. However, looking at early sales, I was so wrong.
The album features a lot of big names, ranging from the Polow Da Don produced track with Usher, to the track with Lil' Wayne and Jadakiss on. Surely his label must be paying these guys a lot of money to make these appearances?
Apparently not. Gucci has certainly stepped his game up for this one, and I certainly believe this album has been well packaged by his team. 'Spotlight' is by far the best track on the CD, shortly followed by 'Sex In Crazy Places', which reminded me a lot of the 2000 hit by Ludacris - 'What's Your Fantasy'. I was also feeling the beat from 'Bad Bad Bad', although I think Keyshia's hook could have been stronger to nail the song.
It would still be optimistic in my eyes to put Gucci as being in the top 10 of Hip Hop in 2009, but he certainly has impressed me with this effort. The album is well worth a listen, but will not challenge any of Jeezy's projects.
7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment